Heads of state and dignitaries from all over the world will be attending the funeral of Israel’s ninth president Shimon Peres on Friday. They are coming from places as diverse as Togo and Mexico, Austria and China.
Leading the US delegation will be US President Barack Obama, and will see Secretary of State John Kerry and Vice President Joe Biden, amongst others. Former President Bill Clinton arrived earlier Thursday morning, and has already visited Peres as he lies in state at the Knesset. The governors of New York and New Jersey confirmed their attendance before the tragedy in Hoboken, and it remains to be seen if they will still be attending. There will also be 19 Senators and Members of the US House of Representatives attending the funeral.
The UK will be sending an especially large delegation to the funeral, which will include: the Prince of Wales, Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson, President of the Board of Jewish Deputies Ephraim Arkush and former Prime Ministers Tony Blair, David Cameron, and Gordon Brown.
Meanwhile, the Egyptians are sending Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry, the Jordanians are sending Deputy Prime Minister for Economic Affairs Jawad Al-Anani. The Palestinian Authority is sending a four member delegation, including PA chairman Mahmoud Abbas, PLO Executive Committee Secretary-General and chief negotiator Saeb Erekat, Chief of General Intelligence Maj. Gen. Majid Faraj, and Civil Affairs Minister Hussein al-Sheikh.
The former and current heads of state and government who have confirmed that they are attending Peres’s funeral follow:
- Australian Governor-General Peter Cosgrove
- Austrian Doris Doris Bures and former President Heinz Fischer
- Bulgarian President Rosen Plevneliev
- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau
- Croatian President Kolinda Grabar-Kitarović
- Cypriot President Nikos Anastasiadis
- Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte
- Estonian Prime Minister Taavi Roivas
- French President François Hollande and former President Nicolas Sarkozy
- German President Joachim Gauck
- Greek former Prime Minister George Papandreou
- Ivorian President Alassane Dramanne Ouattara
- Latvian President Raimonds Vējonis
- Lithuanian President Dalia Grybauskaite
- Luxembourgish Grand Duke Henri
- Macedonian Prime Minister Emil Dimtriev
- Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto
- Monagesque Prime Minister Serge Telle
- Polish President Andrzej Duda
- Romanian President Klaus Iohannis
- Serbian President Tomislav Nikolić
- Slovakian Prime Minister Robert Fico
- Slovenian President Borut Pahor
- Spanish King Felipe VI
- Swiss Federal President Johann Schneider-Ammann
- Togolese President Faure Essozimna Gnassingbe
- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko
In addition, NATO Secretary General Jens Stolenberg and European Council President Donald Tusk are to attend.